Vitamin D could dramatically reduce the death rate of COVID-19
WOODBRIDGE, VA, September 14, 2020 /24-7PressRelease/ — My name is Henry A. McCleary, D.C. (Dr. Mac). I have a holistic lifestyle practice in Woodbridge, Virginia. I feel that our public health leaders have made a major omission in the official public health recommendations.
Most healthcare professionals agree that populations with compromised immune systems are at the greatest risk from COVID-19. However, as far as I can tell, our public health officials have not given us any specific steps in the official public health recommendations to guide us in strengthening the metabolic effectiveness and vitality of our immune systems!
I, like many healthcare professionals, feel that if we implemented a national vitamin D strategy, we could collectively make all our immune systems stronger, and therefore be better prepared to fight COVID-19 when we encounter the SARS-2 virus individually! Please notice, I did not say we could CURE COVID-19, but the science indicates that we could individually and collectively be Stronger/Better Prepared much more Pro-Active in Fighting the virus! An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of CURE!
Vitamin D supplementation to prevent acute respiratory tract infections: systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data. ¹
This study published in the British Medical Journal concluded the following:
• There was an overall protective effect of vitamin D supplementation, and there were no adverse side effects!
• There was a greater benefit for supplementing daily or weekly. All who supplemented daily or weekly got a protective benefit, but the greatest protection was achieved in those with profoundly low vitamin D blood levels when those blood levels were corrected with supplementation.
• The findings support the need for the introduction of official public health strategies to improve the community vitamin D blood levels, especially in communities where there are commonly significantly low levels of serum vitamin D.
Many experts estimate that between 105 million and 130 million adults in the United States (40%) are vitamin D deficient! Additionally, 82% of African Americans, and 70% of Hispanic Americans, are estimated to be deficient in vitamin D. The CDC’s statistics show a much higher hospitalization and death rate for people of color due to COVID-19. ² ³
Here is another important scientific article, published in Frontiers in Immunology, that strongly supports the need for official public health vitamin D strategies.
Vitamin D Supplementation: A Potential Approach for Coronavirus/COVID-19 Therapeutics? ⁴
Their extensive research concluded that metabolically, vitamin D has especially important immune support and protection against the COVID-19 virus.
“Our hypothesis provides a call for research pathways to unravel the role of vitamin D on the pathogenesis of COVID-19, but beyond that, it also opens a hope window for a more immediate, accessible, natural, and cost-effective strategy to prevent, treat and ameliorate propagation of SARS-CoV-2.”
Based on these studies and many others that indicate that higher levels of serum vitamin D decreases infection rate, severity, and death from COVID-19. I am proposing that we add a National Vitamin D Strategy to our present official public health recommendations.
• Wash Your Hands Often
• Practice Social Distancing
• Wear Your Mask
• Know Your Vitamin D Score (Blood Levels)
• Commit to Raising Your Score to Levels of 60 ng/ml to 80ng/ml adults, and 50 to 70 for children
The bottom line is that our present strategy is not working! Adding this vitamin D idea to our present strategy could be done quickly, with relatively low cost, with almost no serious adverse side effects, and with the huge potential to save lives! We need to begin using ALL the science that is applicable! Too many people are dying for us to ignore any safe viable potential solution!
(1) Martineau, Adrian R., Jolliffe, David A., Hooper, Richard L., Greenberg, Lauren, Aloia, John F., Bergman, Peter, Dubnov-Raz, Gal, Esposito, Susanna, Ganmaa, Davaasambuu, Ginde, Adit A., Goodall, Emma C., Grant, Cameron C., Griffiths, Christopher J., Janssens, Wim, Laaksi, Ilkka, Manaseki-Holland, Semira, Mauger, David, Murdoch, David R., Neale, Rachel, Rees, Judy R., Simpson Jr, Steve, Stelmach, Iwona, Trilok Kumar, Geeta, Urashima, Mitsuyoshi, Camargo Jr, Carlos A. (2017, February 15). Vitamin D supplementation to prevent acute respiratory tract infections: systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data. The British Medical Journal. https://www.bmj.com/content/356/bmj.i6583
(2) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2020, August 29). Key Updates for Week 35, Ending August 29, 2020. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html
(3) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2020, August 18). COVID-19 Hospitalization and Death by Race/Ethnicity. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/investigations-discovery/hospitalization-death-by-race-ethnicity.html
(4) Arboleda, John F., Urcuqui-Inchima, Silvio. (2020, June 23). Vitamin D Supplementation: A Potential Approach for Coronavirus/COVID-19 Therapeutics? Frontiers in Immunology. https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2020.01523
About the Doctor
Henry A. McCleary, D.C., is a Holistic Lifestyle Doctor, based in Woodbridge, Virginia. As a member of the non-profit organization, Foundation for Wellness Professionals, Dr. McCleary is committed to the health and wellness of his family, friends, his practice members, his community, and the nation. Dr. McCleary started an online petition to Congress for a National Vitamin D Strategy. Sign the petition at http://chng.it/zbrKdsLVRF Learn more at www.vitaminD4Life.com
For the original version of this press release, please visit 24-7PressRelease.com here